Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lumpia Recipe

Hey Everyone. Today, I will be making lumpia. My husband was upset that I didn't save him any lumpias the last time I made them LOL. He loves my lumpia. So I decided to make lumpia to get back into my husbands good graces. haha.

Lumpia

Lumpia can be considered a meal or a snack. Well, most of the time it's like a side dish but I know people who eat them as a meal, well I do that too.  I know someone who can't eat lumpia with rice. There are 3 different types of lumpia that I know of.


Lumpiang Sariwa: refers to “fresh,” or un-fried lumpia that are filled with sauteed veggies and meat and wrapped in a thin, homemade crepe–as opposed to store-bought spring roll wrappers.


Lumpiang Shanghai: is mostly ground pork with little vegtables.

Vegetable Lumpia: is the lumpia that I cook the most. It's basically ground beef, carrots, cabbage, green beans, onion, and garlic. I like to cook my filling first then deep fry it =) And this is the recipe I will share with you today. ENJOY!!




Things that I used:

- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- a handful of green beans
- 1/4 of a medium sized cabbage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 or 3 garlic gloves, chopped
- black pepper
- oil for frying
- lumpia wrappers

SUGGESTION: Cut all veggies for faster cooking time and if you have frozen lumpia wrappers defrost it while cutting veggies so it would be easy to peel off.
HELPFUL HINTS: This is how I cut my carrots and green beans. It's called julienne cut. A julienne (also called a "matchstick") is a type of cut that makes a long thin strip.





My carrots, green beans and cabbage julienned =D

After getting all the vegetables chopped and ready to go...LET'S START COOKING!!!

Get a Tbs of oil heated.


Start cooking onions and garlic.


Then add your ground beef. Brown your ground beef.

Add your pepper.


Once your ground beef is browned, add carrots and green beans and let cook til veggies are cooked through.

About 5 mins after adding veggies add 2-3 Tbs of Oyster Sauce.

Next, add the cabbage. This is optional but you can add a drizzle of oyster sauce. Not a lot just to get some on the cabbage.


This is how it should look. At this point I just want to get a hot bowl of rice and eat this just like this. LOL, but lets stay on track and start getting the lumpia ready!


Once it's done cooking I put it on a paper towel lined paper plate so that the oil can be drained out. You wanna make sure the filling isn't hot or wet. It will rip your lumpia wrappers.


While the filling is cooling this is a good time to peel your lumpia wrappers.


Okay, so this is a bowl of water to secure my lumpia together. Others use an egg that's scrambled but I find that water works just was well as an egg does. Plus, I don't waste any eggs. If yall don't know I love me some eggs. I aint gonna waste a good egg.


Let's get a wrappin'. Place your lumpia wrapper as diamond. I used a plastic spoon and scooped 2x. That is more than enough of filling. Try to make your filling equal. You dont want your lumpias to be a lot of different sizes. So once you get the 2 spoonfuls of filling spread it out to make a line.
 

Now take the bottom flap and pull it up pass the filling. Make sure when folding you do it real tight.


Roll it up til you reach the middle flaps.


So once you reached the middle flaps fold it toward the middle. It will look like and envelope. Again make sure your folding is tight and not loose.

Continue to roll up..Remember..TIGHT!!


Once you reach this point dip your finger in the water and lightly cover this area.


TADA!! Yay, your done...with 1 lumpia. HAHA!


I am finally done. whew, that took a while!


Okay, frying time! Get your pot filled bout 1/2 thick of oil and get it heated. You want to heat it on a medium/high. You don't want it too hot were the first layer is cooked but the inner lumpia skin isn't cooked through.


Get a bowl and line it w/paper towel so you can place your cooked lumpias in and drain the excess oil out.


Yay...it's frying! Again, you don't want to overcrowd your pan. You want everything to cook evenly.


It doesn't take long to cook so keep a good watch on them. It should look like this...golden brown. yummmmmy in my tummmmmmy!!!


First batch is done. Keep your lumpia standing up so that the oil can drip downwards.


It's DONE!!! Got my Jufran Sweet Chili Sauce!!!


Had to have my yummy lumpia with a tall glass of ice and my caffiene free diet coke!!


DIPPING SAUCE: 

There are 2 different sauces that can be used for lumpias. There is the sweet chili sauce and a garlic vinegar sauce.


This is the sweet chili saice that I always use. I think it's call Mae Ploy Sweet Thai Chili Sauce


This is the vinegar and garlic dipping sauce. I love this one too. Here is the recipe for this sauce. This is NOT sold in stores LOL.

Garlic-Vinegar Dipping Sauce


-3 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup vinegar of choice
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. shallots, finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped (optional)

Mix ingredients in a glass bowl and add more vinegar/pepper/salt as required.


Hope yall found this recipe to be easy and I hope you try this soon. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. ENJOY!!!


xoxo,
Crisel

4 comments:

  1. You know I had to be the first to comment! Thanks for posting this! I will be making Lumpias tomorrow! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! NEXT TIME WE HAVE A GATHERING YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF THE LUMPIA =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Ok, I'll get a lot of practice in while you are gone. Hey is that vinegar sauce like the sauce used for the spring rolls at that Thai place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, girl you will do fine the first time. Umm not quick but kinda sorta!!! I kinda don't remember the thai place taste but this one has a distinct taste so that's all I am thinking of. LOL!

    ReplyDelete